Monday, March 7, 2011

Lionel TMCC Engines interfere with MTH DCS signal quality

My Lionel TMCC engines kill my MTH DCS signal quality when they are running. It has been known for some time that the constant voltage lighting boards in the TMCC engines create interference with the DCS signal, and it is suggested to install a 22 uH 5.5-amp choke in-line on the hot lead from the TMCC pickup roller. I did this to the PostWar Celebration Series Seaboard 6250 Switcher with no luck. I also tried installing on the ground in-line per suggestion and still no go. No one seems to have any input as to what is going on, and I am thinking it might be the sparking of the pickup rollers from the TMCC engine while running since sitting idle does not cause any issues. Of course another solution is to dump all the Lionel engines and go all MTH...but that's for another day.

In the photo you can see the choke (the big black barrel on top) in-line on the ground lead, as well as one tucked in on the right on the hot lead (2-red wires coming from it). They do nothing to help my problem.